In order for this site to work correctly we need to store a small file (called a cookie) on your computer. Most every site in the world does this, however since the 25th of May 2011, by law we have to get your permission first. Please abandon the forum if you disagree.

Para que este foro funcione correctamente es necesario guardar un pequeño fichero (llamado cookie) en su ordenador. La mayoría de los sitios de Internet lo hacen, no obstante desde el 25 de Marzo de 2011 y por ley, necesitamos de su permiso con antelación. Abandone este foro si no está conforme.

Problem with Syntax

Xailer English public forum
Responder
Cotswold

Problem with Syntax

Mensaje por Cotswold »

Having used Clipper87 up to 1999 and then shifting to MS Access, which I have used since then. It is my intention is to try Xailer as an Access alternative. I recall that * will Rem a line but some of the other syntax I just haven't come across before and internet searches aren't helpful. Mainly I think that today more emphasis is on showing advertising rather than helping.

I cannot find anything on syntax for Xbase code on Xharbour or harbour sites, and it appears nothing on this is in the HELP file or PDF Manual for Xailer.
For instance; what is the :: and the : used for? What about the [ ] etc, etc

Presumably the :: and : are used in identification but I cannot find any syntax rules? I've seen some variables prefixed with just : and others with :: then others with no prefix.
I presume that ::Varname1:Varname2 is similar to the ! and . identifiers used in Access? Form!Form1.VarName or Forms![MainForm]![SubForm].Form![VarName] etc used to identify a variable on a form, or to refer to it from another form or SQL query.

Is there somewhere that I can refer to for the Xailer syntax rules?

Many thanks,
If it's falling over, just remember the computer is never wrong!
ignacio
Site Admin
Contactar:

Re: Problem with Syntax

Mensaje por ignacio »

Hi,

Xailer and Harbour.org presumes their users are experienced Clipper 5 users. I I suggest you try to learn something from Clipper 5 first, as it was indeed a big jump from Summer87 to Clipper 5. There is a lot of documentation on the Internet about Clipper 5. I'm sure you won't have a hard time finding it.

BTW,
Presumably the :: and : are used in identification but I cannot find any syntax rules?
The ':' character is used to indicate properties or methods of clases instances: objects. Is the equivalent of the '.' on other languages like js. The '::' refers to the object itself. Is equivalent to 'this', 'self' on other languages.

Regards
Ignacio Ortiz de Zúñiga
[Equipo de Xailer / Xailer team]
https://www.xailer.com
Cotswold

Re: Problem with Syntax

Mensaje por Cotswold »

Many thanks ignacio, found that at harbour.github. Still at the worst time with a new system and reading the various stuff on Language Reference, plus the Help file.
If it's falling over, just remember the computer is never wrong!
Responder